Nik Reeds - Civil Marriage Celebrant
Change Your Name After Marriage

How To Change Your Name After Marriage?

It can take HOURS to change your name everywhere you need to do it.
Thankfully, at the end of this article there is a link to make it much easier and to save you many hours.

Keep reading for now …

Marriage is considered a life-changing event in every individual’s life. It not just brings two people together but also two different cultures, their names, and identities. Traditionally, women used to change their surname after marriage to match their husband’s surname. However, today, changing of surname after marriage is purely optional, and women can choose to retain their maiden name or opt for a hyphenated surname.

If you have recently married and have decided to change your name, you must follow the proper steps laid out by the Australian government. Changing your name after marriage in Australia is a straightforward process; you need to notify the relevant authorities and register your new name in official documents. Here are the steps you need to follow to change your name after getting married in Australia.

Obtain a legal marriage certificate: Before changing your name, you must have a legal marriage certificate. You can obtain a marriage certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory where the marriage was registered.

Update your name in your identification documents: After obtaining the marriage certificate, you need to change your name in all the identification documents like passport, driver’s license, and bank accounts. You must notify them on time to avoid any inconvenience.

Update your name in the social security records: If you receive any government assistance or benefits, you must contact Centrelink to update your new name in their records.

Notify your employer and other organizations: Notify your employer, insurance companies, superannuation funds, and any other organisation where you have an account, that you have changed your name.

Update your name in the electoral roll: If you are a registered voter, you must update your name in the electoral roll to avoid any future voting problems.

Notify your family and friends: Make sure you let your family, friends, and acquaintances know that you have changed your name.

It is important to remember that there may be a fee to change your name in some official documents. Additionally, if you have children, you need to obtain new birth certificates with the new name, which will also involve a separate fee.

In conclusion, changing your name after marriage is a personal choice. Suppose you have decided to take your spouse’s surname or create a double-barrelled surname with your spouse’s name, you must follow the proper process and notify all the relevant authorities to avoid any future problems. Remember to obtain the legal marriage certificate before starting the process and update your name in all the identification documents and official records.

If you want to make it much easier, instead of doing all the leg work yourself, you can opt to send your documentation to a service that will do all the name changing for you.
This is a very popular option and can save you hours of messing around.

Easy Name Change is an Australian company that will save you many hours.

Check them out here -> Easy Name Change


Nik Reeds

Civil Marriage Celebrant

Share It:

Let's Chat Now!

Fill out the form so we can send you more information & my Pricelist.

Nik Reeds - Civil Marriage Celebrant
Quick Links

Contact Details

Copyright © 2024 | Nik Reeds - Marriage Celebrant

Proud To Be An Ally